Monday, November 10, 2008

My Family of Heroes



On this Veteran's Day I got to thinking about all the military people in our family, and it made me very proud! I am definitely in the minority in this patriotic group! From the time I was big enough to reach the rope on the flag pole, my job at our family cabin in Wisconsin was to raise Old Glory as soon as we arrived for the weekend. To this day, I fly the flag at our front door every day of the year. But, that is pretty much as far as my "active duty" extends, except for exercising my right and privilege to vote.




But, I digress. The purpose of this post is to honor all the people in my immediate family who have served in the military. My Grandpa Ross served in the Army in World War I, my dad, Ed Gorman joined the Navy toward the end of World War II. My father-in-law, Don Schulte, is an Army Veteran serving over seas as a cook. In the next generation, my sister, Mary and her husband, Jim, are proud Air Force Veterans, active duty for six years and then serving in the Reserves even beyond their 20 year retirement date. Following along in the family tradition, both of my sons took up the cause. Kyle joined the Army, and Andy is my Navy man, planning to make the Navy his career.




On this Veteran's Day, 2008, I just want to tell you all how proud I am of you!


Gratefully,


Linda








No comments: